Sunday 15 July 2012

Dancing on tabletops


Last night I danced on a table top dressed as a punk.
 Yes, I’m serious.
 No, that’s not the opening line of a new novel. It could be though.
Writers and writing advice often tell us to write what we know and to live life in order to find new things to write about. Well after last night I have a whole list of things I can write about.

But that’s not really what I’m talking about today. I’m going to catch you up on how well I’m reaching my goals, two weeks into Round Three. I’ve been doing surprisingly well actually. Writing a little every day, drawing a little every day, editing a little every day. Even when I’ve not been physically editing DW, the work in progress, I’ve been thinking about how I would change certain parts or how I could get it to more resemble what I’d first envisioned when I started writing it last November. Most of my other goals have been completed as well. I’ve been writing everyday by working on my Camp NaNo planning and that’s also coming along swimmingly. I’ve also been drawing everyday by sketching page thumbnails for oSaM. It’s helping me figure out character designs and how the characters hold themselves at the same time. Slowly but surely I’m getting more and more ready to actually start drawing that monster. I still haven’t decided on an art style or how I’m going to produce the actual pages yet but it’s on my list of things to do.

What I’m having serious trouble with is the middle goal; completing one full art piece every week. Both weeks something’s come up just as I’ve been settling down to work on a full piece of art and I’ve just not gotten around to sitting down to work again. I’m starting to think that I may have to remove that particular goal from my goal lists. I don’t really want to though as that would be admitting defeat and I don’t like to do that. I hate the feeling of failure and I’m determined to treat that goal as a challenge.
I can never resist a challenge.

And maybe next time I’ll tell you how I wound up on top of the table.

Maybe.

3 comments:

  1. I love dancing on tables and I haven't done it for years. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a great start on your goals (and inspiration for new ones!). As much as it's not fun to admit, sometimes cutting away some of the extra goals like your art help the most important processes get accomplished even more effectively. I constantly find myself overbooking my time and having to cut so I can focus on what I value the most.

    Hope you find the right balance, and good luck with all of your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds to me like you're doing extremely well. Writing, editing and sketching every day - that's excellent. An artist myself, I don't think I would be able to complete one full art piece a week on top of all the writing I'm doing. I'm finding it hard enough to fit in creating some collage cards...

    ReplyDelete