Tuesday 21 February 2012

A little bit lost


So I’m at a bit of a loss. I’ve been imagining this day for ages but never actually thought about what I’d do when it got here. You’re probably wondering what on earth I’m blabbering about. Well I’ll tell you.
I finished the first draft of Darkling Watch.

It’s a big deal to me, a massive accomplishment and I’ll tell you why. My biggest downfall in my writing is that I’ve never finished anything. I’ve got dozens and dozens of works in progress on my computer and in my room. Everything I start I seem to leave by the wayside. Today though is one of the first times I’ve ever actually finished something. I’m so proud of myself and at the same time I’m shell-shocked. I’ve dreamed about being able to turn around to my parents and say ‘it’s done’ but now that it’s here I don’t know what to do. I feel like I should be jumping up and down on the bed and running around squealing. But I’m not. Instead I’m sat here, trying to figure out what to do next. It’s pretty awe-inspiring. I’ve just completed the first step on the path to possibly getting published. Editting will come soon enough and then submissions. I’m finally reaching towards my dream and I can’t believe it is happening.
It doesn’t feel real. I’ve felt this feeling before; when I got into uni, when I graduated, when my first article was published in the student paper. It’s not a new sensation. I just never thought I’d get it for my writing though.

I’m sitting here wondering what else I can spend my day doing, not that I spent hours and hours just sitting there writing. A lot of the time I was procrastinating.
I suppose I could work on the Young Adult novel I’ve been planning, actually start writing it. Or I could rewrite Witchan or Loves Complications, sort out their plots and actually get onto drawing the pages again. Maybe.
Or maybe I could just revel for the day in the joy of the fact that at last I’ve finished something. I could use it as a starting point to prove to myself and everyone else that at last I’m no longer just a doer. I’m a finisher. I start things, I do them and I get them finished. 

I’m not going to lie. It’s a nice feeling.

11 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!

    I know exactly what you mean about having a million WIPs sitting around, but it is such an amazing feeling when you actually get something completed after all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is indeed an amazing feeling and I hope you experience it soon too.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! You can't see me, but I'm doing a happy dance for you. It has extra energy because I know exactly how you feel. :) Until I put ~Finis~ at the end of my current WIP, I had started, stalled, and never finished *hundreds* of WIPS. Mainly due to suffereing from re-writeritis. It's an awesome feeling, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very much enjoying having finished something. Don't get me wrong though I've still got to re-write it but having actually got from one end to the other of a novel is amazing! Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on finishing your first draft! :) It is a great feeling, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is indeed a great feeling, I feel like I can actually finish other stuff now as well.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on finishing! That's a big deal:)

    Stacy Green - stacygreenauthor.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so understand that about not finishing. I have several novels in progress but have yet to finish one. So Congratulations!! You give me hope!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, giving hope to someone else is a new one for me. Thanks and I wish you luck in finishing your works in progress.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on finishing! Ahhh, such a relief, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete